I LOVE tomato soup. Well, I loved it, until I discovered good ‘ole MSG in the Campbell’s brand. My mom has a reaction that borders on anaphylactic shock each time she ingests it, even accidentally, so I figure avoidance is the best tactic. Plus $20 says they use BPA to line their cans…
I made the Vegan Roasted Red Pepper Soup and it didn’t end up being what I had imagined, good but not quite the cacophony of flavors. So I took a crack at it in a round about way and I am THRILLED with the results.
The Best Tomato Soup
- 1 T olive oil
- 3 shallots, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 Onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 red bell peppers, roasted*, seeded, peeled and diced
- 1 jalapeño, roasted, seeded, peeled and diced
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 2 28 oz cans tomatoes (any kind really)
- 4 c vegetable Broth
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp salt and pepper, to taste
* To roast the peppers, lay them directly over an open flame of a gas cooktop, BBQ or under the broiler, turning often to evenly blacken – but not scorch. Cool in a large enough bowl to hold them, tightly covered with plastic wrap. Once cool enough to handle, peel and rub away the loose, blackened skin.
- Heat the oil in a large stockpot and add the shallots, onion, carrots and garlic to sweat and soften.
- Seed and slice the peeled, roasted peppers.
- Add the peppers with the broth to the vegetables. Add a few jalapeño seeds for a bit of heat.
- Bring to a simmer and cook until carrots are soft.
- Add thyme, salt and pepper.
- Add the tomatoes and heat through.
- Purée with a hand immersion blender (or blend in blender) until smooth.
- Adjust seasoning, if necessary.