Quinoa. It’s not even a word spell check recognizes. But if spell check had tastebuds it would behave differently.
Readers, meet quinoa; quinoa meet readers.
Quinoa is a super food in Bowden’s The 150 Healthiest Foods on Earth. What he says about quinoa,
Quinoa is a highly nutritious food and is considered a high-protein ‘grain’ [Quinoa is actually a seed]. Quinoa is higher in lysine than wheat (lysine is an amino acid that’s scarce in the vegetable kingdom), and the amino acid content of quinoa seed in general is considered well balance for human…nutrition. Quinoa has a lower sodium content and is higher in calcium, phosphorous, magnesium, potassium, copper, manganese, and zinc than wheat, barley or corn. 1/2 cup contains almost 8 g [of iron and] …a hefty 5 g of fiber.
In fact, quinoa beat out brown rice for its spot in the book, and quinoa is gluten free. Most agree that 2 cups of water/stock to 1 cup quinoa. In fact, this evening I did that very thing in a rice cooker. Rice cooker- worked perfectly. Gluten Free Goddess was kind enough to provide instructions.
Asian Quinoa Salad (serves 2-3)
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 2 T liquid aminos (or other gluten free soy sauce)
- 4 T brown rice vinegar
- 2 tsp chili paste or Srirachi
- 2 tsp agave
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp dried ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup cilantro chopped
- 1 carrot, diced
- Take your quinoa and rinse it in cold water. Drain and place in the rice cooker with the water and cook.
- In a separate bowl mix the rest of the dressing ingredients except the cilantro and carrot.
- Once the quinoa is done, rinse with cold water and drain. In a large bowl mix quinoa, dressing, cilantro and carrot.
- Serve and enjoy hot or cold.
This would an amazing meal to take to work. I wish I had green onion, that would be amazing, also maybe diced red peppers. It’s insanely versatile and you can bake with it too. So go out on a limb, hit up your nearest bulk foods section and grab $1 worth of quinoa and give it a go.