Fajitas Huevos alla Jon
When my spouse cooks now, he cooks so well!
He really wanted fajitas, and I really wanted eggs (because huevos rancheros is one of my favorite dishes) so voltron was born.
Jon even made his very own homemade, from scratch, refried black beans. And they were perfect and make canned beans taste…inadequate. They tasted fantastic and had the perfect consistency. And they probably cost about $1. Beans are a super staple in any diet because we can all use more fiber!
Fajitas Huevos alla Jon (serves 4)
For the beans, to be started 8 hours before dinner (or prepared in advance):
- 3 cups dry black beans (recommend presoak and rinse)
- 9 cups water
- 2 jalapenos – 1 seeded, 1 unseeded (optional)
- 5 tsp salt
- 1 3/4 tsp pepper
- 1/8 tsp cumin
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- Place the rinsed beans, jalapeno, garlic, salt, pepper, and cumin into a slow cooker/crockpot. Pour in the water and stir to combine. Cook on High for 8 hours (or your 8-hour setting), adding more water as needed. Note: if more than 1 cup of water has evaporated during cooking, then the temperature is too high.
- Once the beans have cooked, strain them, and reserve the liquid. Mash the beans with a potato masher, adding the reserved water as needed to attain desired consistency.
- Save beans in the fridge and reheat or serve with the meal below.
For the rest of the meal:
- 2 bell peppers, sliced
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 T olive oil
- organic corn tortillas (about 2 per person)
- cilantro, chopped
- cultured sour cream
- eggs (look for pastured eggs)
- ghee or butter, for cooking eggs
- Optional: garlic, pepper, chipotle chili powder for seasoning eggs
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet on medium/medium-low. Saute peppers and onions for about 10 minutes, or until slightly firm and semi-soft.
- In the mean time, you can heat a small skillet and warm your corn tortillas if desired.
- Melt your ghee/butter in a pan on medium-low. Cook your eggs on medium-low for about 6-8 minutes. Season with garlic, pepper and chipotle chili powder. I prefer them sunny-side-up for this dish, and I can tell they’re done when I see bubbles inside the yolk and the egg whites have all turned white instead of clear.
- Serve beans, vegetables, tortillas, salsa, cilantro, sour cream and eggs. There’s no wrong way to do it.
Refried Bean Recipe