Honey, I Shrunk the Banana Bread
My grandma had passed on to me her famous banana bread recipe (aren’t all Grandmas’ recipes famous?), and I have not made it in such a long time. I don’t use any cooking flours so finding this flour-free cookie was great! I went home with the intent of making the original coconut banana cookie and realized I was out of coconut. Remembering a former substitute of coconut and oats I figured it was fail-proof. Totally.
Kids (and my husband) LOVE these cookies. They are absolutely delicious and they travel so well! 4 ingredients never tasted so good!
Banana Bread Cookies (adapted from here)
- 8 medjool dates, pitted and chopped
- water to cover dates
- 1 medium banana
- 1 cup oats, ground 1-2 seconds (not too fine!)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Optional: maple sugar granules and nutmeg
- Place the chopped dates in a bowl and fill with enough water to cover the dates. Soak for 25 minutes.
- In a bowl mix banana, oats and cinnamon.
- Drain the dates, then process dates and banana mixture in a blender or food processor. Small date chunks are delicious! In fact, if you can try to mince your dates, mixing with a fork would absolutely work.
- Drop 1 tablespoon of ‘dough’ onto teflex or parchment sheets on your dehydrator trays. You should get 24 cookies.
- Dehydrate until soft and chewy. I dehydrated at 140° (default setting) for 3 hours. I also sprinkled a bit of maple sugar on them. The added sweetness was totally unnecessary but it adds a buttery flavor that’s a nice treat.
Each cookie contains 40 calories, 11 carbs and 6 grams of sugar. Pretty great considering what a slice of traditional banana bread consists of. Sure it’s not a fairly exact comparison, but I really enjoy the portable, healthy, mess-free version. Plus it takes me about 15 minutes of prep. These will become a staple in my house now. What could be a more perfect distance bike ride snack? Great sugars with the dates and banana, some potassium and carbs, and not too much fiber. Sprinkle some salt in the dough and I think we’ve got a winner!