Muffin on Top
I love loved those boxed blueberry muffin mixes with the streusel topping. I have been trying to find a gluten-, dairy-, soy-, refined sugar-, and flax-free muffin to at least try to compete with my craving. Again, those fantastic paleos came to my rescue!
Blueberry Muffin (adapted from here)
- 1 cup almond butter
- 1 cup almond meal/almond flour
- 3 eggs, whisked
- 1/3 cup honey + 1/6 cup coconut nectar (or just 1/2 cup honey)
- 1/3 cup coconut flakes
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, (or ghee) melted
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- Preheat your oven to 350°.
- Mix all of the ingredients together, except the berries, in a processor (not necessary unless your almond meal is homemade and you want a smoother batter). I pre-chopped the berries in order to beat them up a bit- just a few seconds, and then fold them into the batter.
- Using a muffin tin, fill the cavities with liners and drop batter into each cup. Fill until they’re almost full and you can still see a centimeter of paper. Is using streusel topping, top each muffin with a little bit.
- Bake for 17-24 minutes. Just keep an eye on it, they will puff up and look adorable. Mine took a bit longer than the original recipe, at about 25 minutes.
Confession though, I used…sugar. Cane sugar. But it was worth it ;)
Streusel Topping (not paleo)
- 3 T organic cane sugar (maple sugar would be good too!)
- 1 T coconut flour
- 2 T coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon