Sweet ‘n Spicy
Do you have one of these cruet doohickeys from the Good Seasons dressing? I haven’t looked for one recently, as this one is older than the memory in which I bought it. Well if you have one, GREAT-no need to measure! If not, that’s cool since I’ll provide measurements.
Have you ever had, or thought of, basil and jalapeno together? At first I had my reservations, but I needed dressing STAT and with options (and energy) low, I whipped this up. It is the easiest dressing besides oil & vinegar and delicious to boot. The sweet of the basil, the spice of the jalapeno and the tang of the vinegar are just the epitome of summer, and that color! It’s the perfect shade of chartreuse.
Basil & Jalapeno Dressing
- 1/4 cup white balsamic vinegar
- 3 T water
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 jalapeno, 1/2 seeds removed for a decent spice
- 2-3 oz basil
- 2- 3 small, or 1- 2 medium, cloves of garlic
- In a blender, puree all ingredients until smooth. Pre-chop your vegetables and herbs if necessary to ensure a smooth consistency.
That’s it! It’s so fresh and bright, that’s why the white balsamic is important. After seeing several tantalizing recipes featuring the vinegar, I easily found some and have made much use of it since. If I had used original balsamic, the flavor would have been much more tangy and the color a brown-ish green. Whatever is convenient for you will work.