Delicious Dirt Clods
Happy Halloween! Enjoy the double chocolate version of the Paleo Cookie!
‘Dirt Clod’ Double Chocolate Paleo Cookies
- 2 1/3 cups almond meal*
- 2 T coconut flour, sifted
- 1/2 tsp Celtic sea salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2-3 oz (2/3 of 1 bar) Theo or other chocolate bar, 70%+ cacao, chopped (Theo chocolate is vegan, soy-free, gluten and dairy free)
- 2 T cacao powder
- 1 T vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup coconut oil (or ghee or butter), melted
- 1/4 cup coconut nectar (double to omit maple syrup)
- 1/4 cup grade B maple syrup (double to omit coconut nectar)
*Make your own by grinding raw almonds into a fine meal; stop when it’s a uniform ‘meal’ consistency. Grinding it 1-1.5 cups at a time yields the most consistent results for me, store leftovers in the fridge.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Combine wet ingredients in a small bowl. (Quick Tip: melt coconut oil by placing it in a 1-cup pyrex in a small pan of water on medium low heat. Remove from heat and add maple syrup, coconut nectar and vanilla).
- Mix wet ingredients into dry ingredients. If your dough is too runny/sticky, add 1-2 T almond meal.
- IMPORTANT: Chill dough for 30 min-1 hour. This step seems unnecessary but it will make the dough less sticky and easily pliable. Chill up to 2 days to use at will.
- Lightly grease cookie sheet(s) with coconut oil.
- Using a teaspoon (or small cookie dough scoop) scoop a heaping scoop of dough and form balls. Pat them down a bit, they will spread while baking.
- Bake for 11 minutes for a perfect cookie.
- Remove to a wire rack to cool and use a spatula to loosen the cookies. Makes +/- 36 cookies.
This cookie doesn’t have any refined sugar, eggs, refined/bean/soy/flax flour, soy, flax, gluten, dairy, or general weirdness in it.