Sick Day for Bugs Bunny
Carrot & Apple Soup
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium sweet onion, chopped
- 3 medium leeks, chopped
- 1-2 shallots, sliced
- 1 1/2 lbs carrots, sliced (don’t peel ’em, waste of time)
- 1 apple, cored and chopped
- 6 cups water
- 1 1/2 tsp fresh ginger, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes, mint for garnish
- 1/4 tsp each: coriander, turmeric, sea salt, white pepper
- Heat oil in large saucepan on medium-high until hot. Saute onion, leek and shallots til translucent and slightly browned (10 mins).
- Add in carrots and apple. Cover pot, reduce heat to med-low and cook gently until vegetables give up most of their juices (8-10 mins).
- Add water, ginger, garlic. Cover and simmer on medium until carrots are very soft, about 30 minutes.
- Let soup sit, uncovered, about 20 minutes, to cool slightly. Puree soup in a blender or food processor, if necessary in two batches. (Blender makes a smoother soup, but a hand mixer yields very nice results as well.)
So this sick bunny is stickin’ to the challenge!