Pumpkin Pie – The Remake
Last year I made a pumpkin pie that was a dietary-restriction dream come true; vegan, soy-free, lactose/casein free, gluten and sugar-free. I remade that recipe this Thanksgiving, but this time I simplified the recipe by providing my exact method below. (It made the recipe look long and scary, when it’s really not!)
Pumpkin Pie Filling – yields 1 9″ pie or 14-18 mini pies
- 2 1/2 cups fresh pumpkin puree (see below for fresh pumpkin prep)
- 1/2 cup canned coconut milk
- 4 tsp coconut oil, melted
- 2 T arrowroot powder
- 2 tsp agar agar powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp ginger
- 1/8-1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 4 T honey
- 1 T coconut nectar (or more honey)
- Preheat oven to 400º F (375º for mini-pie crust).
- Combine prepared pumpkin puree with all ingredients and blend until smooth using a VitaMix or hand blender. You can store it in the fridge for a day or two before use.
- Pour filling into prepared crust. You may have a bit of leftover, so try not to overfill. If using a store-bought crust bake for 1 hour, if using the mini-pie crust recipe bake for 35-40 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely before serving. For best results, chill in the fridge for 1 hour after it’s room temperature before serving.
The only way I was able to make the Easy Nut Crust work with the filling was to make mini pies in a cupcake pan. After 2 burned crusts, Jon and I were practically forced to eat all of the ‘failed’ pie filling, poor us! The mini pies are fantastic though! If you have a delicious soy/sugar/gluten/flax-free, vegan, bake-able pie crust recipe please share it with me!
Easy Nut Crust Recipe for Mini Pies
- 1 1/2 cups almond meal
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 T honey
- 3 T coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- Rub coconut oil in cupcake pan molds.
- In a bowl, mix almond meal and salt.
- Add to almond mixture, honey, coconut oil and vanilla.
- Mix well and gently press 1-2 T of dough into cupcake molds using fingers or spatula. An ice cream scoop works wonders for pressing the crust into the cupcake molds.
- Fill with pie filling, about 2 heaping spoonfuls, and bake at 375°F for 35-40 minutes, until center doesn’t jiggle.
- Use a knife to loosen the cooled mini pies, and use a spoon to get them out. Allow to cool completely before serving.
How to Prepare Fresh Pumpkin for Pumpkin Pie
- 1-2 Sugar pumpkins, 3-4 lbs each. Each pumpkin will yield 2.5-3 cups of puree. 1 pie, 1 pumpkin!
- Slice pumpkin in half and scoop out seeds and stringy dark orange bits. If you have trouble cutting the pumpkin in half, roast them for 15 minutes or so.
- Place pumpkin open face down in a baking dish. Pour 1/4 cup water into the baking dish and cover with foil.
- Bake at 375° F for 45-50 minutes, until easily pierced with a fork.
- Allow to cool completely and scoop flesh out of skin. Puree pumpkin mixture in a VitaMix or using a hand blender.
- **FANCY VERSION: Mix together 1 T coconut sugar, 1/2 tsp cinnamon and a pinch of nutmeg. Sprinkle mixture onto the exposed pumpkin flesh and prepare as above. You’re basically pre-seasoning it and the smell is intoxicating!
I recommend giving the fresh pumpkin prep a try. It is really worth the extra effort!