Paleo Pound Cake
Thanks goes to Paleo Table for sharing the best Paleo Lemon Pound Cake recipe ever. It is such a moist, flavorful and amazingly delicious cake! The glaze smelled like 7-Up to me, it is so perfectly delicious! I used 1/2 almond flour and 1/2 almond meal from my homemade stashes and it was perfect, the perfect consistency.
Paleo Lemon Pound Cake
- 2 cups blanched almond flour (or homemade almond meal-flour is lighter)
- 1/2 cup coconut flour, sifted
- 1/2 tsp sea or pink salt
- 1 heaping tsp baking soda
- 2/3 cup raw honey, melted (a mixture of coconut nectar and maple syrup could work too)
- 2/3 cup coconut oil, melted
- 4-5 eggs (or 4-5 chia or flax eggs)
- 1/2 cup + 3 T unsweetened full-fat coconut milk
- 2 T pure vanilla extract
- zest of 1 lemon (zest before juicing)
**Glaze Recipe Below**
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Prepare a 9×9 baking pan or 8-9″ springform pan by coating the interior with coconut oil.
- Sift dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl and stir with a whisk to combine.
- Place oil and honey in the bowl of a food processor or bowl (using hand mixer) and process for 15 seconds. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing after each addition. Add coconut milk, vanilla, and lemon zest, and continue to process until well combined.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the wet ingredients. Use a wooden mixing spoon to thoroughly combine ingredients, pressing out any lumps.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. The top will be lightly browned.
- Let cake cool in the pan for 10 minutes, run a butter knife around the edge of the pan to loosen the cake, and then turn it out onto a cake plate and let cool completely.
“7-Up” Lemon Glaze
- 1-2 lemons, juiced
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 vanilla bean pod or (2 tsp vanilla extract)
- 4 T raw honey
- While cake bakes, prepare the glaze by slitting vanilla bean lengthwise and scraping the beans into a small saucepan. Add the vanilla bean pod (or vanilla extract), lemon juice, zest, and honey to the pan. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes. Let cool to room temperature. Remove pod and discard.
- Using a knife, perforate the top of the cake several times. Pour glaze over the cake, using a spatula to evenly distribute the glaze over the entire cake top. Let the cake rest for an hour to fully absorb the glaze. Serve immediately or cover and store in the refrigerator. Top with fresh strawberries if desired.
Per slice, serves 12 – 370 calories, 30 carbs with almost 6 g of fiber and almost 9 g of protein. The fiber will be much higher if you use chia eggs (go ahead and experiment!)