Buttercups of the Peanut Variety
Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups (makes 4 large cups)
- 4 T cacao
- 4 T coconut oil, melted
- 2 T grade B maple syrup
Peanut Butter Filling:
- 3-4 T peanut butter (without oil added, I love Santa Cruz)
- Optional: 1/2 tsp raw honey for added sweetness
- Mix chocolate sauce in a bowl until smooth.
- In a small or large cupcake baking cup, pour enough chocolate sauce in it to cover the bottom. Placing your cups in cupcake pan will help keep the roundness. Freeze for 5-10 minutes until hardened.
- Dollop peanut butter onto frozen chocolate base. (Make as thick as you want, I used about 1 T per cup.)
- Top with chocolate sauce until peanut butter is covered and freeze for 5-10 minutes.
- Store in the freezer for a harder cup or the fridge for a softer one.
You really cannot go wrong with the mixture so feel free to use different molds and/or change the filling type or quantity. Any oil-free nut butter can be substituted (cashew, almond, walnut, coconut) – even non-nut butters like sunflower butter would be great. Eating 1/2 of 1 cup was plenty to satisfy my sweet tooth at that crucial moment. As we approach the end of the 4th sugar-free month I can gladly say I’ve had a few slips and the resulting headaches really keep me honest! With tricks like these up my sleeve I’m not afraid of being refined-sugar free forever.